84% Cabernet Sauvignon
5% Cabernet Franc
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Vineyard / Estate / Viticulture:
– Soil Type:
– Special Vintage Info: Different blocks of each of the cultivars situated in the Mulkersvlie Bowl
were harvested. The Cabernet Sauvignon grapes are from three different vineyards planted on soils
in the Stellenbosch region. Cabernet Franc, from the block ‘Vaaldraai’ planted on the foothill of
Klapmutskop, and Merlot, from the Peperboom vineyard and also situated on the slopes of
Klapmutkskop, are included in this blend. The unique terroir these vines are grown on echo in the
blend. The age of these vines, ranging from 10 years to older, also contribute to the exceptional
quality of the grapes at harvest.
Vinification / Winemaking:
– How grapes were handled: Grapes of trellised vineyards were hand harvested in order to minimalise material other than grapes as well as to be able to do bunch selection in the vineyard.
– Fermentation / Yeast Type / Vessel: Great care is taken in the cellar to optimise extraction of flavours during fermentation. Pump overs and punch downs are done three times per day with two rack and returns being done before the alcoholic fermentation is completed.
– Fermentation Management: Fermentation temperatures were maintained at between 25oC and 28oC. Post maturation was done on the Merlot component.
– Reasons for this choice:
– Ageing – barrels / size / time: The different components spent 16 months in French oak, hogshead, barrels, of which 30% were new. After 16 months, the blend was made and aged for another 4 months as a blend in 300 litre barrels, of which only 20% were new oak.
This wine has a dark ruby colour with a youthful hue. Classical in its own style, with aromas of truffle, mint cassis and delicate nuances of red berry fruit flavours. This is a full bodied wine, well supported on the palate without overpowering its delicate red berry notes.